Between 2006 – 2009 CFA carried out a stone by stone survey of the exterior of Dunbar Town House prior to the exterior being re-harled with lime-based render. This Grade A Listed building is one of the oldest and well known in Dunbar having served the town as its gaol in the 18th-century and the towns police station and council chambers during the 19th-century. Council offices were created in 1927 following conversion of an adjoining tenement building. Both buildings are being converted into a local history museum and interpretation centre requiring major alterations to meet modern building standards.
CFA is tasked with carrying out a second phase of archaeological building recording and monitoring work. So far during the stripping out of modern wall cladding, a large stone built fireplace has been uncovered in one of the ground floor vaults. The fireplace appears to have been reduced in size during the 19th-century. The original fireplace has a massive fire-blackened lintol surmounted by a stone-built segmented arch. On the first floor , located in a strong room is another fireplace which has a lintol covered in graffiti dating to 1766. This fireplace sits within a massive fireplace with roll-moulded surrounds and it is surmised that this feature may have been robbed from a great hall, probably Dunbar Castle. These features are situated on what would have been the north gable of the Town House and it is anticipated that more fireplaces will eventually be revealed on the south gable in due course.